We wish the most memorable and pleasant stay for our guests as they enjoy all our area has to offer. The Pittsboro-Siler City Convention & Visitors Bureau (CVB) is Chatham County's destination marketing organization (DMO) responsible for travel and tourism promotion and visitor services. The CVB is the liaison between potential visitors, media, and/or film scouts and the local travel industry. The CVB is the catalyst for visitor-related economic development. The occupancy tax, a three percent tax paid by visitors and collected by local lodging facilities, can legally only be used to promote travel and tourism. The CVB is fully funded by this tax.
List of Services
We provide numerous services to Chatham County's tourism-related businesses, all of which are free. Below are just a few:
- Include information for tourism-related businesses on tourism website and Chatham County portion of NC Tourism Web site.
- Display brochures at our Visitor Centers and distribute at lodging, other attraction sites, trade shows, etc.
- Mail brochures with all visitor requests for information (Internet, walk-in, or phone requests).
- Assist in facilitating partnerships between lodging and attractions for getaway packages and other marketing opportunities to increase business for everyone involved.
- Include information about golf courses, lodging, attractions, and tourism-related businesses in annual paid advertising campaign and public relations campaign.
- Provide media with story ideas, information, and photographs/electronic images of tourism-related businesses.
- Include all information, brochures, and photographs/electronic images in press kits provided to local, regional, and national media and film scouts.
- Work with the North Carolina Division of Tourism, Film and Sports Development.
- Annually, provide listing information about county golf courses in Official NC Tourism Visitor Guide, the Official NC Golf Guide, semi-annual NC Tourism Event Calendar (print), and for inclusion in the marketing materials for Chatham County.
- Write and distribute monthly e-mail newsletter, Tourism ChitCHAT (distributed to individuals who have specifically requested to receive information, updates, and golf information about Chatham County).
- Offer an award-winning social networking workshop for Facebook and Twitter to help set up tourism-related business utilize these marketing tools.
- Starting a tourism or hospitality business? Use our Checklist, which we jointly created with our fellow county departments: Planning, Central Permitting/Inspections, Environmental Health, and Finance.
Destination Marketing Association Awards:
- Rising Star Award – Awarded in first year of CVB’s existence (2000)
- Platinum Award – Communications/Public Relations (2000)
- Gold Award – Tourism ChitCHAT, Electronic News (2006)
- Platinum Award – Tourism ChitCHAT, Electronic News (2007)
- Platinum Award – Tourism ChitCHAT, Electronic News (2008)
- Gold Award – Visitors Guide (2008)
- Innovation in Tourism Award in Workforce Development – Ecotourism Certificate (2008)
- Innovation in Tourism in Media and Stakeholder Relations – Social Networking (2008)
- Innovation in Tourism in Media and Stakeholder Relations – Media Kit Template (2008)
- Innovation in Tourism in Workforce Development – Education (2009)
- Gold Award – Tourism ChitCHAT, Electronic News (2009)
- Gold Award - Destination Marketing and Communication: Tourism ChitCHAT
- Gold Award - Destination Branding: Social Media multiple campaigns (Facebook, Twitter, foursquare brand pages)
- Domestic tourism in Chatham County generated an economic impact of $27.73 million in 2011. This was a 10.8% change from 2010.
- Total payroll generated by the tourism industry in Chatham County reached $3.22 million, with more than 160 jobs directly attributed to tourism.
- State and local tax revenues from travel to Chatham County amounted to $2.07 million. This represents a $33.02 tax saving to each county resident.
- Chatham County Leads State in Increased Spending by Visitors
- 2010 Visitor Spending in Chatham County Climbed 4.6 Percent
- Director of Convention & Visitors Bureau Co-Authors Textbook Chapter
- CVB Wins Two Statewide Marketing Awards
- Chatham's Overnight Visitor Spending Increased in 2008 Despite Recession
- Convention & Visitors Bureau Wins Four State Tourism Marketing Awards
- Community College Offers State's First Ecotourism Certificate Program
- CVB Creates Heart of Carolina Bed & Breakfast Trail
- Annual Visitor Spending in Chatham County Increased by 6% in 2007
- Pittsboro-Siler City Convention & Visitors Bureau Wins State Marketing Award
For press releases about our visitor-related businesses, visit our Press Room.
We are a proud member of the Destination Marketing Association of North Carolina and a proud partner of the North Carolina Division of Tourism, Film and Sports Development.