Pollinator Garden Workshop and Tour
August 8 @ 5:30 pm - October 4 @ 6:30 pm
Three spring pollinator conservation workshops and garden tours as part of its Enhancing Sustainability Series starting at the Chatham County Agriculture & Conference Center in Pittsboro. This is the same workshop offered on three different dates to accommodate participants’ schedules and keep class size small. Chatham County Agricultural Extension Agent Debbie Roos will give an overview of North Carolina pollinators and discuss the role of native bees and managed bees in crop pollination. Participants will learn about the principles of planting a pollinator garden and how to select trees, shrubs, herbaceous perennials, herbs, vines, and grasses to attract a diversity of pollinators. Debbie will emphasize native plants but also include a few other plants that provide good resources. The workshop will conclude with a tour of Cooperative Extension’s pollinator garden at Chatham Mills. The garden is comprised of over 210 different species, 85% of which are native to North Carolina.
Tours of Chatham County Cooperative Extension’s Pollinator Paradise Demonstration Garden
Meet on the lawn in front of Chatham Marketplace.
Wed, Aug 8, 5:30pm
Tue, Aug 14, 10am
Sat, Sep 8, 2pm
Thu, Sep 13, 10am
Wed, Oct 10, 5pm
Sat, Oct 20, 2pm
Pollinator Day 2019, Sat, 9am – 1pm. Date TBA
Join the Chatham County Center of North Carolina Cooperative Extension and Chatham County Beekeepers’ Association for the 11th Annual Pollinator Day Celebration on the lawn next to the Chatham Mills Farmers’ Market at Chatham Mills. The purpose of our popular Pollinator Day is to raise public awareness of the importance of bees and other pollinators that are needed to produce 80 percent of flowering plants and one third of human food crops. We have a great program planned for folks of all ages! All activities are free and include:
- Listen to a presentation about beekeeping – how to get started, equipment needs, management tips – from experienced beekeepers
- Watch an expert beekeeper work an actual hive inside a bee cage (bees inside, participants outside!)
- Learn about what to plant in your garden to attract butterflies and bees and other pollinators
- Talk to Extension Master Gardener Volunteers – get answers to your gardening questions, pick up soil testing supplies, and learn how you can become an EMG!
- Tour Cooperative Extension’s demonstration Pollinator Paradise Garden at Chatham Mills and get a close look at visiting pollinators
- Sample delicious foods made with local honey and get recipes for how to cook with honey
- Learn about native bees and butterflies and see honey bees up close and personal
- Click here for the complete schedule of events
Ever tried honey wine? Co-sponsors Starrlight Mead will be doing a mead tasting and a mead making demonstration. Visitors can also visit the meadery where they produce their award-winning honey wines on the Chatham Mills property! Visit our kids’ tent with lots of activities for kids including a scavenger hunt, plant-a-pollinator-plant, beeswax candle making, face painting, pollinator games and balloons, and more! Watch “Bee TV” – park yourself in front of an observation hive and watch the worker bees tending to the queen. It’s mesmerizing!
We will be giving away native plants and gift certificates from local nurseries and businesses throughout the day, thanks to generous support from:
Big Bloomers Flower Farm
Buck Naked Farm
Country Farm & Home
Green Panda Farms
Growing Wild Nursery
Mellow Marsh Farm
Starrlight Mead – Event co-sponsor
For photos and a program schedule visit the Growing Small Farms website