- This event has passed.
Milo Holt’s Western Festival
May 19 @ 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
Each year the festival is held in honor of Milo Holt who had a love for the B Western movies and kept them alive for over forty years. In Milo’s younger years before his death in 2011 he brought cowboy look-a-likes to Siler City every year and staged shoot outs as they did in the movies, Milo started “Milo’s Ole Film Time Club” movie and music series and it is still in operation in 2018. At the passing of Milo family and friends vowed to keep his legend alive with a festival in his name to be held in the spring near his birthday in the month of May.
A previous festival was filmed by UNC TV for their program, N.C. Weekend, which will be televised Thu, May 10, 9pm.
The Tom Mix Rangers will be back with their stagecoach and bringing this year their western town with them, Lash LaRue, John Wayne, Sunset Carson, The Hyco Kid, U.S. Marshall are a few who will be making their way to Siler City to entertain. Ronnie Felker – a Barnie Fife impersonator and wife – Thelma Lou entertainers.
Western movies will be shown free of charge all day in a location to be announced. Chief Steve Silverheels will be special guest speaker on American Indian Life – he is the son of Tonto, from the Lone Ranger.
The Rotary Outdoor Stage will be host to musicians such as the Rocky River Cowboys, Michael Cansler , Duelin’ Banjo’s, Barbershop Quartet, Aspen Black & Alice, Paige Metzer “Owl Woman”, Cindy Smith the Singing Cowgirl & Fuzzy Q. Jones, as well as others being booked.
Some activities already planned are a costume contest for all ages, Covered wagon pulled by donkeys will give you a ride, Huck’s Lost Mine, the 13th. NC Artillery Encampment, bouncy houses sponsored by The Town of Siler City Recreation Dept., Pieces of Eight Pirate Troupe. Vendors of crafts and foods will line the streets with aromas you can’t refuse. Attached are special events being planned for the day.
Smithfield Chicken N’ Bar-B-Q has been a big sponsor each year since the festival began in 2012 with a dinner for the fifty plus cowboys, cowgirls and guest who come to each year’s event to entertain the people of Siler City and surrounding areas.
We are looking for the backing of our entire community to help with this event. Our budget is $3,500. Your donation is needed to help with expenses such as accommodations, insurance, inspection fees, rental fees of Porto Johns, etc. Checks may be made out to “Milo Holt Festival” and mailed to 823 East Cardinal Street, Siler City, N.C. 27344
Thank you in advance for your generosity and support. For further information you may contact Linda Holt Lehman at (919) 200-5161 and by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Milo Holt’s Western Film Festival
- The Tom Mix Rangers will be back with stagecoach and all the exciting shootouts between the good and bad.
- Cowboy lookalikes appearing for the day are John Wayne (Bob Seiber), Pallatin (Richard Gilman), Sunset Carson (Bob Atkins), The Hyco Kid (Michael Lair), Lash Larue (Bob Wallace).
- Other well-known cowboys and cowgirls are Roy Rogers and Dale Evans, Annie Oakley, Tonto. Indian Chief Jay Silverheels will be in town. He was the son of Tonto from The Lone Ranger. The cowboys and cowgirls will entertain with shootouts, stagecoach robbery and other tactics that cowboys do.
- On the Rotary Stage will be an Indian Spiritual Dancer who will perform her inspirational message through song and dance.
- Musicians on stage all day with country, Bluegrass, gospel and more. Performing will be New Direction, The Trailblazers, Rocky River Cowboys, Charlie’s Band and other artists.
- The Lane Society Reeinactment Group will have a settlement as in the confederacy days. This will be on South Chatham Ave across from Farmers’ Alliance Store. Their families will be in costume of that time period and will be taking part in the reenactment.
- Western Gem Mine for panning for gems
- Free Western movies at 121 N Chatham Ave on Main Street.
- Have your picture taken in the many costumes of the Western time period – clothes are furnished from which you can select.
- Cars, trucks, tractors on display. Interested in displaying, call Linda Lehman, 919.200.5161 to register and participate.
- Vendors of arts, crafts and foods. For an application to be a vendor, call Linda at the number listed above.
- Costume contest for all age groups. Dress Western style or any old-time clothing. Prizes for costume contest. Register for prizes to be given away.
- “Milo Holt Festival” t-shirts are available for $10. Donations are needed. Send your donation to “Milo Holt Festival” and mail to Linda Holt Lehman, 823 E Cardinal St, Siler City, NC 27344.?919.200.5161 or 919.742.4034
This special event is part of Milo’s Ole Film Time Club movie and music series. Join in the fun and festivities, which will include cowboy movies, gospel singing and music throughout the day including the Rocky River Cowboys, food, a shoot out at high noon, children’s activities, cowboy rope tricks, bullwhip exhibition, cowboys’ six-guns with gun safety demo, and much more. Stay tuned for more details.
Location: Streets to be closed for the festival will be North Chatham Ave at Third street and South Chatham Ave to Beaver St, West Second St from North Second to North Birch, East Raleigh St from Post Office Entrance to Birch, North Birch and South Birch from West Second to West Beaver and West Beaver from South Birch to Post Office Exit.